63: 25 Character Areas
Below is a list of 25 character areas. While this is not an exhaustive list of character areas mentioned in the Bible, I think the list is representative of those most heavily emphasized.
You may find this list useful as you think about developing character in your kids. What are their strengths and weaknesses? How can you help them grow in each area?
You’ll notice that each area has a few probing questions for your consideration. They are written to you, the parent. After all, parenting often has more to do with the parent than with the child. What areas can you grow in? What steps can you take?
You may want to be creative in the use of this list.
- You could study the list as a family.
- You and your children could each pick an area to study.
- You and/or your kids could memorize one verse out of each area.
- You and/or your kids could memorize all of the verses for an area.
- You could discuss your strengths and how those could be utilized.
For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. (2 Peter 1:5-8 NIV)
(The .pdf version of this is a little more readable.)
25 Character Areas
Not quick tempered vs. easily angered
Do you get angry at other drivers, your spouse or your children? Do others around you notice this anger displayed, or do you immediately control it? Are you frequently using a raised voice with your children?
- Proverbs 14:17, 29; Matthew 5:22; Ephesians 4:26,31; Colossians 3:8; James 1:19,20
Family man / woman
Do other people want a marriage like yours, and/or children like yours? Are your children a joy to be around? Are you confident that your kids will turn out well? Do your spouse and kids enjoy being around you?
- Deuteronomy 6:6,7; Proverbs 19:18; 22:6; 29:17; Ephesians 5:22-33; Colossians 3:18-21;
1 Timothy 3:2-7,12; Titus 1:6-9; 1 Peter 3:1-7
Committed, sacrificed life
Are you determined to do what God wants, even if it seems like other paths seem easier or more fulfilling? Is God frequently on the back burner, while other things like school, work, or even recreation get most of the attention? Are you determined to follow God, even if no one else around you will?
- Mark 12:30; Matthew 6:33; 16:24; Luke 14:25-33
Content vs. covetous
Do you tend to buy lots of things that you can't afford (i.e. on credit)? Are you happy with having things that are less than the best?
- Exodus 20:17; Philippians 4:11,12;
1 Timothy 6:6-8; Hebrews 13:5
Diligent vs. lazy
Do you devote hours of time to entertainment and recreation while neglecting your studies, work, home, or relationship with God?
- Proverbs 12:24,27; 13:4; 14:23; 28:19,20; Colossians 3:23; 2 Thessalonians 3:9-12
Does the thought of heaven and eternity bring you hope? Is the fear of hardship or loss in this life overwhelming?
- Psalm 90:12; Proverbs 14:32;
1 Corinthians 7:29-31; 15:19; Colossians 1:5; Titus 2:13; 1 Peter 1:13
Man or woman of faith (vs. fearful)
Are you confident of your standing with God? Is your perception of your relationship with God based on your feelings, or on what the Bible says? Are you willing to step into roles that you feel ill equipped for? Do you use your gifts and talents when opportunities arise? How's your prayer life?
- Romans 14:23b; 1 Corinthians 16:13;
2 Corinthians 5:7; Galatians 5:6b; Hebrews 11; James 2:26
Faithful vs. unfaithful
Are you careful to fulfill your responsibilities with even the small things?
- Matthew 25:14-30; Luke 16:10;
1 Corinthians 4:2; 1 Peter 4:10,11
Do you have bad feelings towards people that have harmed you in the past? Are you bitter or do you have a grudge against anyone?
- Proverbs 19:11; Matthew 6:12; 18:21-22; Mark 11:25; Luke 6:37b; Luke 23:34a; Ephesians 4:32; Colossians 3:13
Gentle vs. violent or overbearing
Would people characterize you as being harsh or overbearing? Do you occasionally “let people have it” (verbally or physically) because they've “got it coming”?
- 1 Timothy 3:2-7; Titus 1:6-9; Galatians 5:22,23; Colossians 3:12
Do you regularly give to the Lord and to those in need? Do you give with a cheerful heart? Are you a good tipper? Do you see money as something that needs to be carefully managed and controlled, or more like a tool that you can use to do good?
- Matthew 6:24-33; Luke 16:9-15; Romans 12:8;
2 Corinthians 8:7-9; 9:6-8; 1 Timothy 6:18
Honest vs. deceitful
Do you occasionally “bend the rules” for your own gain? Do you give people answers that are half-truths or that are “legally correct”?
- Leviticus 19:11; Proverbs 4:24; 10:9; 11:3; 12:17,20; 1 Peter 2:1
Humble vs. proud
Are you constantly worried about what other people think of you? Is it important that your accomplishments are recognized? Can you gracefully accept correction or criticism? Do you act in ways that promote yourself instead of God or others?
- Proverbs 22:4; 29:23; Micah 6:8; Matthew 18:4; Luke 14:10; Romans 12:3; Colossians 3:12; James 4:10; 1 Peter 5:5
Do you grumble and complain a lot? Do you enjoy praising God?
- Romans 12:12; 2 Corinthians 6:10; Galatians 5:22; Philippians 2:14; 4:4;
1 Thessalonians 5:16
Do you frequently think about what would be good or helpful for other people? Do you try to put yourself in other people's shoes? Do you make a conscious effort to tell or show others that you love them?
- Matthew 22:39; John 13:35; 15:12,13; Romans 12:9; 1 Corinthians 13; Galatians 5:22; Colossians 3:12; 1 Timothy 6:11; Titus 2:2; Hebrews 13:1; 1 Peter 1:22; 2 Peter 1:5-8; 1 John 3:16
Are you more concerned with discovering truth, than obeying the truth that you already know? If something is blatantly clear in the Bible, will you accept it even if it is a hard teaching? Are you known more for your actions, or your stances on different issues?
- John 14:15,21,23-24; 1 Corinthians 7:19;
1 John 5:2; James 1:22
Patient and enduring
Are you willing to wait for God's timing, or do you try to speed it along? Have you struggled with questions for God that remain unresolved for years? Do you have a pattern of continually switching majors, jobs, or churches? Are you easily overwhelmed, tired, or discouraged to the point that you start dropping the ball in some of your high priority areas?
- Romans 5:3,4; Galatians 6:9;
2 Thessalonians 3:13; Hebrews 12:1-3;
James 1:3,4; James 5:10,11; 2 Peter 1:5-8
Self controlled vs. indulgent
Can you say “no” to yourself in areas of your life that you would like to change? Are there areas in your life that control you, rather than you controlling them?
- Proverbs 25:28; Galatians 5:22-23, 1 Timothy 3:2-7; 2 Timothy 1:7; Titus 1:6-9; 2:2; 2:6;
1 Peter 1:13; 4:7; 5:8; 2 Peter 1:5-8
Unselfish vs. selfish
Will you refrain from doing things that are not wrong, but that might be hard for others? Do you think of ways to serve others and not do them because it is inconvenient for you?
- Matthew 16:25; Romans 12:17; 14:21;
1 Corinthians 10:24; 13:5; 2 Corinthians 8:21; Philippians 2:3,4
Do you see it as a burden to serve others, or as a joy? Do you frequently serve in ways which provide no reward?
- Matthew 20:28; Mark 10:43-45; John 13:14-16; Romans 12:11; 1 Corinthians 15:58;
2 Corinthians 4:5; Galatians 5:13; 6:9-10; Ephesians 2:13; 4:16; 6:7,8; Philippians 2:3-7,20-21; Colossians 3:23; 1 Peter 2:16; 4:10,11
Do you see the opposite sex as objects or people? Do you look at or listen to material that no one else knows about? When you have improper thoughts, do you feed them, or starve them?
- Proverbs 4:25; 27:20; Job 31:1; Matthew 5:27-30; Romans 13:13,14; 1 Corinthians 6:12-20; Ephesians 4:19; 5:3,4;Colossians 3:5-8;
1 Thessalonians 4:3-5; James 1:13-15;
1 Peter 4:3-5; 1 John 2:15-17
Controlled speech vs. unrestrained in speech
Do you say things about people that you would never say if they were listening? Are the things that you talk about typically helpful or building for your hearers?
- Proverbs 10:19; 17:27; 21:23; 29:20; Ephesians 4:29; 5:4; Colossians 3:8; 4:6; James 1:19,26
Teachable vs. unresponsive
Are you eager to learn from others and the Bible? Is it more important to you to be right, or to look right?
- Proverbs 22:17; Acts 17:11; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:16; Hebrews 12:7; 13:17
Unified with others vs. divisive
Are you supportive of the direction of your leaders? If you disagree with the direction a leader is going, do you tell the leader, or do you tell the followers?
- John 17:23; Acts 4:32a; Romans 12:5; 15:5;
1 Corinthians 1:10; 12:25; Ephesians 4:3,16; Philippians 2:1,2; Colossians 2:2a;
Are you more focused on what is honoring to God than on what you can get away with?
- Romans 12:17; 2 Corinthians 8:21; Titus 1:6-9;
1 Peter 1:14,15; 2 Peter 1:5-8; 1 Timothy 6:11;
2 Peter 3:14
[Printer friendly version]