58: House Rules
1. Always live in a way that honors God.
Mark 12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’
2. Treat others as you would want to be treated.
Matthew 7:12 Do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
3. Share with others.
Hebrews 13:16 And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.
4. Only tell the truth.
Leviticus 19:11b “‘Do not lie.’ ‘Do not deceive one another.’”
5. Don’t take what belongs to someone else.
Leviticus 19:11a “‘Do not steal.’”
6. Be thankful for what you have, and what you’re given.
Philippians 4:11b I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
7. Be kind to others.
Ephesians 4:32 Be kind and compassionate to one another.
8. Treat your siblings with great kindness. They are your closest “neighbors.”
Mark 12:31a The second [most important command] is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
9. Obey your parents.
Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.
10. Treat your parents with respect.
Ephesians 6:2a “Honor your father and mother.”
11. Obey teachers, coaches, and other trusted adults.
1 Peter 2:13 Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every authority instituted among men.
12. Always speak cheerfully.
Philippians 2:14 Do everything without complaining or arguing.
13. Do not speak with harsh words or a harsh tone.
Ephesians 4:29a Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths.
14. When you are given a job to do, work hard.
Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord…
15. Control your anger and frustration.
James 1:19b Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
16. Do not take revenge when you’ve been wronged. Get help from a parent.
Romans 12:19 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.
17. Don’t talk back.
Proverbs 18:13 He who answers before listening—that is his folly and his shame.
18. Have a happy heart.
Proverbs 15:30a A cheerful look brings joy to the heart.
19. Forgive others.
Colossians 3:13 Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
20. Accept discipline with a good heart.
Proverbs 13:1 A wise son heeds his father's instruction, but a mocker does not listen to rebuke.
Click below for a more printer friendly PDF or Microsoft Word version. Keep a copy on your fridge or in your Bible.
- Full sheet (PDF/Word)
- Half sheet (PDF / Word)